Now, we will provide recipes.
Italian Cannoli Shells:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Marsala, Burgundy or Chablis wine
- Mix the flour, shortening, sugar and salt together; slowly add the wine.
- Using your fingers, knead the mixture until it can be formed into a hard dough ball.
- Cover the dough ball with a cloth or tea towel and let it rest for about one hour.
- Divide the dough ball in half and roll out to ¼ inch thickness or less.
- Divide the rolled out dough into 4-inch squares.
- Put a metal tube or cylinder diagonally across each of the 4-inch squares. Put the metal tube or cylinder from one diagonal point to the other diagonal point.
- Wrap the dough around the cylinder or tube and overlap the other two points. Seal these points with egg white.
- Meanwhile, prepare a large deep pan that is suitable for deep frying by filling with vegetable oil deep enough to allow the Cannoli shells to float.
- Deep fry one or two shells at a time until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove shells from oil, slide tube out and drain on paper towels.
An Easy Cannoli Filling:
- 2 lbs of Ricotta (must be dry- drain off liquid)
- 2 (8 oz) pkgs. Cream Cheese
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz miniature bitter sweet chocolate morsels
- Mix the cream cheese until very creamy.
- Mix the Ricotta vigorously for approximately 2 minutes.
- Combine the cheeses; add the sugar, cinnamon oil, both flavorings and the chocolate pieces.
- Chill this mixture for a minimum of ½ hour before filling the shells.
Now for the more difficult, but more traditional filling for this Italian Dessert
The Real Thing:
- 2 lbs Impastata (this is a high quality Ricotta with less moisture - or drain the liquid off the regular Ricotta overnight)
- 1 lb confectioner's sugar
- 2 drops cinnamon oil
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp chopped Hazelnuts
- 2n tsp vanilla
Whipped cream can be folded into either of the mixtures just before you are ready to fill the shells for an added special treat.
Once you've made one of the above recipes, then you'll know what changes you can make to create your own version of the filling. Have fun with it! The varieties are endless!
Article Source: Cannoli - The Recipe